The weeks keep passing so quickly these days! I can’t believe it’s already Thursday and already time for the answers to Tuesday Trivia. With no further adieu…
- El Pollo Loco — the crazy chicken! — was founded in the seaside town of Guasave back in the 1970s. It is true that Denny’s purchased the chain in 1983, but most people don’t realize that Denny’s turned right around and sold it (along with all their other holdings) four years later. Today, El Pollo Loco is a privately-owned company headquartered in Irvine, California, and operating in Mexico and the United States.
- Wendy’s introduced the drive-through window in 1971 at their second store in Columbus, Ohio. McDonald’s didn’t incorporate this concept until 1975. Of course, the folks at In-n-Out Burger had the first modern “drive up” service, created in 1948, but Wendy’s created the modern drive-through as we know it.
- Ancient Romans were the first to sell food from stalls in the street. One of the most popular “fast food” items of the day was botulus, a blood sausage made from salted pork. In fact, botulism takes its name from botulus, as the first diagnoses of botulism were in response to people eating bad botulus sausage (botulus meaning “sausage” in Latin).
- One out of every eight Americans has received a paycheck from McDonald’s. That means at least a few of you out there have worked for Mickey D’s. Own up, folks!
- Americans spend an average of $134 million on fast food each year, more than they spend on education, car payments or computers. Amazing, if frighteningly unhealthy.
- BONUS: Catching up to us in almost every facet of modern life, including consumption of natural resources and automobile ownership, China is the second-largest consumer of fast food in the world. Throw their huge smoking habit into the mix, and we aren’t exactly creating very healthy world superpowers these days.
So…who won? Once again, we congratulate the mighty Pooh! Congratulations, Pooh!
Although she and The Grumpy Chef were tied for first place, the tie-breaker was their answer to queston number three. The Grumpy Chef ventured “Persian,” while Pooh! couldn’t make up her mind and offered both Greece and Rome. These two are neck and neck each week, I tell ya. One day we’ll just have to play Final Jeopardy to see who reigns supreme.
Until next week…happy eating!