I know. Okay? I KNOW.
Do I have to sing an Andrew Lloyd Webber song to you, or are we all cool?
…good, because I’m a terrible singer.
So, who wants trivia answers? More importantly, who wants the trivia winner? Okay, answers first:
- The six additional ways to commit gluttony are: Praepropere – eating too soon; Laute – eating too expensively; Nimis – eating too much; Ardenter – eating too eagerly; Studiose – eating too daintily; Forente – eating wildly. And with that list, Thomas Aquinas managed to condemn basically anyone who’s ever eaten a single bite of food.
- The price of grain has risen roughly 250% since 2000. Good job, commodities traders. You must sleep so well at night.
- The highest grade of Russian caviar is malossol. It isn’t a distinct variety of caviar (like sevruga or beluga) but simply refers to how much salt has been used during the preservation process.
- Abalone is not an aphrodesiac. It is, however, a highly-valued symbol of wealth and prestige, particularly in China.
- Easter Island is believed to have been almost completely depopulated by a civil war resulting from massive food shortages after their natural resources had been depleted through overpopulation.
- BONUS: That honor belongs to Carl Jr’s Double Six Dollar Burger, a monstrosity that clocks in at over 1,500 calories and 111 grams of fat. No, that’s not a typo.
This week’s winner might surprise you! I was certainly surprised… It’s Chris, who got the most correct answers (four of them right on the head, and a damn close answer for #2) straight out of the gate!
Congratulations, Chris! You’re not only the proud winner of she eats. bragging rights — worth at least $0.15 on the open market — you’ll also be getting a copy of In the Devil’s Garden: A Sinful History of Forbidden Food courtesy of, well, me.
And since I was so late with the answers this time — and since I’ve clearly completely punked out on trivia this week — my self-flagellating penance is that it’s your turn for trivia. So ask away. I’ll answer anything you throw out there* to the best of my ability.
*It’s 42. Next question, please.
UPDATE: Chris, email me at sheeats at hotmail dot com to claim yo’ prize. I tried emailing you, but the email gods are not smiling down upon me today.